It’s a rainy day. You walk in your home and the carpet is soaked with water. What do you do? Do you know that wet carpets can cause mold to grow, which will eventually lead to structural damage of your house as well as health problems for those who live there? If not, then read on!
In this blog post, we will be discussing some of the most common mistakes that people make when it comes to dealing with a wet carpet and ways on how you can prevent them. So grab your glasses, sit back, relax, and enjoy! 🙂
What Do You Need To Know When Your Carpet Is Wet?
When your carpet has been affected by water damage, you must take the following measurements when it comes to dealing with a wet carpet.
- Measure the area affected by water – Take note of how big or small the area affected is. You’ll need this piece of information to have an idea on what kind of service your carpet is in need of.
- Level of water saturation – This is to tell how wet the carpet is. You can either use a carpet moisture meter or simply feel the carpet. The higher it gets, the more damage there will likely be. But don’t forget that risks also increase when humidity level rises in your home. So you also have to take that into consideration.
- Amount of fiber damage – This is one of the most crucial factors when it comes to dealing with a wet carpet. Fiber damage can be quite costly, so make sure you get this right from the get-go. You can either use your own judgment or make use of a fiber loss scale to get this measurement right.
- Water source – Your next step is to determine the water source, especially if the carpets are wet from inside your house. Knowing where the leak came from will also help you figure out what kind of services you need when it comes to dealing with a wet carpet.
TIPS ON HOW TO DRY A WET CARPET
Depending on the situation, there are two things you can do with your wet carpet depending on if you want to dry it up or not. If you’re planning to remove all stains and moisture from the carpet, then you’re better off calling a professional water damage restoration company. They’ll help you properly dry your carpet with the use of specialized equipment.
If you’re planning to just simply remove excess moisture from the carpet, here’s what you need to do:
- Blot up moisture – Use your towel to blot out liquid stains and moisture as much as possible. As you’re doing this, you can also remove mold and mildew by applying a solution of water with detergent on it. Lightly scrub the stained areas with your towel dipped in this solution to help loosen up any dried liquids that might be stuck to the walls of the carpet fibers or the sub-floor below it.
- Don’t forget to avoid pushing the moisture deeper into the carpet . This will only cause more damage and stinkiness than you can ever imagine. You’ll also have a hard time getting those smells to go away as well if you do this.
- Sealing Carpet Water Damage – If you’re planning to remove excess moisture and clean your carpet, but not dry it up, then the next step is to seal off all wet areas with plastic sheeting. This will allow much needed air flow in the room while still preventing any liquid from remaining inside the carpet . The result? A dry carpet that you can simply vacuum and reuse.
Here are some things to keep in mind when it comes to dealing with a wet carpet:
- 1. Do not walk on wet carpets – This will only spread moisture deeper into your carpet and will ultimately cause more damage
- 2. Call a professional as soon as possible – When you have wet carpet, the best thing to do is call up a water damage restoration company. They’ll give your carpet all that it needs to thoroughly dry and clean itself out.
- 3. Airing out your wet carpet – When the damage is caused by moisture from inside, you may also dry it up using an air conditioner or a fan to blow out excess moisture in the room. You can set this up as long as you have plastic sheeting that’s covering all wet areas
- 4. Air it out for up to 72 hours – This is where you can’t really rely on your judgment, but rather a professional air quality company
- 5. Remove water as much as possible before drying it up or sealing it off with plastic sheeting
- 6. Protect your family – You have to make sure that you’re not bringing in any more exposure to moisture while the carpet is wet. This will only aggravate health problems and destroy anything it comes in contact with in your house. It can also lead to mold growth if you don’t do anything
- 7. Consider removing damaged areas – If there are any major stains or odors that just can’t be pulled out from your carpet, consider having these parts taken out before you even think of drying it up
- 8. Don’t try to dry the carpet without a professional
- 9. Contact a Water/Mold restoration company if there is mold growth in your carpet after the water damage incident
- 10. Choose the right cleaning material – The main thing you need to do when trying to clean liquid stains from your carpet is strong detergent. Many people make the mistake of trying to clean it with soap or dishwashing liquid, but this just spreads out excess liquids and makes it worse.
How can home owners use the Wet Carpet Water Extraction service?
If your carpet has been damaged by water, then you might have other problems to worry about aside from just cleaning up the excess moisture. You need a professional to assess all of these issues for you and provide you with the help that you’re looking for. So long as our team is on their way to your location as you read this, you’ll be able to quickly dry out your carpet and even have a professional clean it for you in no time at all.
You can trust our team of experts because they are some of the best that Orange County has to offer when it comes to this particular skill. They’ll be able to quickly assess the damage and get it dried out for you in no time at all.
We provide a variety of services including carpet cleaning, Fire damage restoration, water damage restoration and more
So when you need the best water damage restoration service in Orange County, don’t settle for less. We’re your one-stop shop to get everything that you need and more! Call us today.