Mold can be a real problem for homeowners. It’s not just an aesthetic issue, but it can lead to health problems if left untreated. And removing mold from wood is harder than you might think because of how porous the material is. The key to tackling this project yourself is using the right tools and taking your time to ensure you do not miss any spots or allow new mold growth behind your work. 

Mold removal from wood isn’t as simple as wiping it away with bleach spray or covering it with paint. Mold thrives on surfaces that are porous, which means these materials will soak up whatever solution you use against them, making the job even more difficult in the future—not to mention expensive! Thankfully, there are some steps homeowners can take to mitigate the problem before it begins.

Is mold on wood furniture dangerous?

Absolutely. Just one square-foot of mold on wood can release up to 43,000 spores per day, which can cause health problems for you and your family if inhaled. But the only way to get rid of it is by first figuring out what kind you’re dealing with.

For example, there are two types of black mold:

Stachybotrys chartarum (the one most people are familiar with) and Memnoniella echinata , which is sometimes referred to as “false black mold.” The latter is usually easier to get rid of since it can be wiped away, whereas S. chartarum takes on a slimy appearance that makes it harder to remove.

S. chartarum can be harder to get rid of for homeowners who aren’t experienced in mold removal from wood, but it doesn’t mean you should ignore the problem and live with it, either! It’s important to call professionals if there’s a chance you could end up with S. chartarum on your wood, and they’ll know exactly how to take care of it.

How do I prevent mold growth on wood?

The best way to do this is by taking measures to reduce humidity in your home.  One way you can accomplish this is by bringing in a dehumidifier for the winter months when you won’t be using the furnace as much. When the humidity levels are lower, mold growth is slower and easier to manage.

You can also control indoor humidity by ventilating rooms that have high moisture—like bathrooms where you shower or turn on the sink constantly. Make sure your home’s insulation isn’t damaged or missing, too, since that will allow sub-par air to enter your home, leading to humidity buildup.

Can I remove mold from wood myself?

Yes, it is possible to remove mold from wood by yourself if you’re careful and patient—and don’t mind spending a little extra time at it!

You can use a bleach solution (3/4 cup bleach per gallon of water), but be sure to test the bleach first on a piece of wood that isn’t too visible. If it turns a different color or if there’s a chemical smell, you need to let it sit out for a while for other chemicals in the bleach to evaporate before using it.

Dehumidifiers can also be useful here since they’ll dry out the wood, making it easier for you to wipe or scrub off.

If you notice that your mold problem has come back even after doing some of these things, call professionals to help you figure out how to completely get rid of the mold where it’s hidden. Just don’t forget—if nothing else works, breathe easy knowing there is a product on the market that can kill 99.9% of all molds and their spores called Clorox Urine Remover .

What can I spray on wood to kill mold?

Spraying your wood will only kill what you can see, but it won’t be able to find the mold that’s hidden in cracks or behind wallpaper. It’s also much more likely to lead to fumes that could cause irritation for you and your family when inhaled.

There are products out there made specifically for mold treatment on wood—like Clorox Urine Remover —which is guaranteed to kill mold where you can’t see it until after roughly eight hours of leaving it on the surface. You simply spray this product onto any porous surface (i.e., anything that absorbs liquid), let the chemicals completely dry overnight, then wipe them away with a rag before reapplying.

If you’re looking for faster relief, try a Clorox Bleach Pen that’s made to wipe away mold on all kinds of surfaces—it can be a lifesaver.

How do I kill mold that is hidden in the wood?

If you’ve discovered mold behind wallpaper or under floors, it’ll take some extra work to remove it.

First, try using bleach (see earlier recommendation) since this will be effective with many types of molds. If you’re unable to use chemicals, there are natural remedies like vinegar and baking soda with hydrogen peroxide mixed in, but keep in mind these options may not always be as powerful as chemicals alone. Just don’t forget: The key to success with either option is letting it sit for long enough for each chemical agent to dry completely, as this will make it easier to wipe off.

Why should I hire a professional to remove mold from wood if home remedies are effective?

Chemicals that you can find at any grocery store or drugstore generally won’t be as strong as those made specifically for use on mold growth on wood—and they could cause more damage by simply being less powerful. Such chemicals may also irritate your respiratory system, causing coughing and sneezing if you breathe in the fumes or accidentally get them into your eyes.   

When hiring a professional, always ask about their experience with treating different kinds of molds because you don’t want someone who is only knowledgeable about one type of mold—like Aspergillus niger —if your problem is actually Stachybotrys . This can be hard to identify if it’s hidden more deeply in your wood.

What happens if the mold comes back?

If you’re still seeing an active growth of mold on your wood after trying one of these treatments, you’ll need to find out how far it has spread and whether or not any further damage is being done behind the visible growth. A professional can help but first may recommend using Clorox Urine Remover on every surface where the mold was found so that it won’t return later.   

If you’re not confident with your abilities to identify whether the mold growth was due to water damage, urine, or something else—or if you’ve tried everything and are still seeing signs of active mold growth on your wood surfaces, call professionals immediately.

Same Day Restoration of Orange County CA provides quality emergency restoration and cleaning services to both commercial and residential establishments. Our technicians are IICRC-certified and have many years of experience in the industry. Contact Us Today!